International CVS Awareness Day is a community-driven movement to increase public recognition of CVS and impact change regarding access to diagnosis and treatment for those impacted by cyclic vomiting syndrome. This is a once-a-year opportunity that we, as a community, can use our voices, individual stories, and experiences to reduce stigma associated with CVS, increase the recognition of and impact the understanding of cyclic vomiting syndrome.
We encourage everyone, including individuals, families, caregivers, healthcare professionals, researchers, clinicians, policy makers, industry representatives and the public to consider ways that they can light up awareness and help drive change for those impacted by cyclic vomiting syndrome.
March 5th is CVS Awareness Day and the Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome Association, and its volunteers, having been working to #LightUpCVSAwareness by getting iconic landmarks, buildings, bridges and locations across the US and Canada to light up blue in honor of CVS awareness day. Having these beacons of light provides a platform and opportunity that we can all use to participate in increasing awareness of cyclic vomiting syndrome.
Here are some of the locations lighting up:
- Gilbert Water Tower (AZ) – 3/5/2023
- Pfister Hotel (WI) – 3/5/2023
- Skydance Bridge (OK) – 3/5/2023
- The Wheel at Icon Park (FL) – 3/6/2023
- Zakim Bridge (MA) – 3/5/2023
- Longfellow Bridge (MA) – 3/5/2023
- Fore River Bridge (MA) – 3/5/2023
- Burns Bridge (MA) – 3/5/2023
- The “M” (CA) – 3/5/2023
- I-35W Bridge (MN) – 3/5/2023 *(from 1/2 hour before Sunset to 1/2 hour after Sunrise)
- Capella Tower (MN) – 3/5/2023
- The Spires on Main Street Square (SD) – 3/5/2023
- Retirement Systems of Alabama Buildings in Mobile and Montgomery (AL) – 3/5/2023
- Ziggurat (FL) – 3/5/2023
- Baltimore City Hall Dome (MD) – 3/4/2023 & 3/5/2023
- Clock Faces in Lewiston, Maine Tower (ME) – 3/5/2023
- Niagara Falls (NY and Canada) – 3/5/2023 *10:00pm (EST) for 15min
- Peace Bridge (NY & Ontario, Canada) – 3/5/2023 *The lights will come on at dusk and remain on until 1:00 AM (EST)
- Calgary Tower (Calgary Alberta, Canada) – 3/5/2023
- Montreal Tower in Parc Olympique (Quebec, Canada) – 3/5/2023
- Edmonton Bridge (Canada) – 3/5/2023
If you are going to any of these locations in-person, please follow the local guidelines and regulations. For more updates and additional locations check: https://givebutter.com/CVSAwarenessDay-2023
Here are a few confirmed light ups in the United Kingdom:
- Gateshead Millennium Bridge
- Chester: Town Hall, Newgate Arch, & Eastgate clock.
- Ellesmere Port library and a building in Winsford.
- York City Walls
- Clacton Pier
- Wainhouse Tower- Halifax
For the most current information on what is lighting up in the UK please visit the CVSA UK Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CVSAUK
We encourage everyone to consider ways that they can #LightUpCVSAwareness
Here are some ways that you may consider participating:
- Share pictures and information about CVS, during this event, on social media. Tag CVSA and use the Hashtag #LightupCVSAwareness on social media.
- Wear Blue (Ribbons, Shirts, Masks, etc.)
- Dye your hair blue.
- Submit “Light Up” requests for buildings, bridges, and other places near you and share approvals with CVSA.
- Host a local meet-up
- Start a fundraiser: https://givebutter.com/CVSAwarenessDay-2023
- Take pamphlets or brochures to doctors and ER waiting rooms: https://www.cvsaonline.org/for-patients/new-patients/
- Present information to classes or medical groups.
- Volunteer for groups that are raising awareness and education for CVS.
- Donate to groups raising awareness and education for CVS.
- “Light Up” your home with blue lights
- Get and wear an International CVS Awareness Day Shirt here: https://www.bonfire.com/store/cyclic-vomiting-syndrome-association/ (*Order before February 10th to get them by March 5th)
- Check out https://www.cvsaonline.org/cvs-international-awareness-day/ to see other ways that people are spreading awareness.
Light up social media:
Share photos of locations lighting up, share your experiences and stories on social media platforms and share how CVS impacts you. Use hashtags #LightUpCVSAwareness and #CVSAwareness
The Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome Association (CVSA) would like to extend a very energetic thank you to all the monuments, bridges, buildings, and locations that have agreed to light up on March 5th in recognition of International CVS Awareness Day. CVSA would also like to express our gratitude to all volunteers and individuals that worked on the outreach requesting and setting up light-ups.
Special Thanks To:
- Gilbert Az : Marcus Corporation : Public Works Public Information : ICON Park : MassDOT : Metro Statewide Lighting : the Niagara Falls Illumination Board : Shorenstein Realty Services, L.P. : Buffalo & Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority : Main Street Square : Retirement Systems of Alabama : JLL, Ziggurat: Calgary Tower Lighting : Lewiston City Hall : Parc Olympique : Pfister Hotel : City of Oklahoma : Baltimore City Hall : Moreno Valley “M” : Minnesota Dept of Trans : Peace Bridge : and many more!