Research Information on Supplement Therapy:
(see Supplement Discounts below)
Dr. Boles currently uses the following dosage guidelines for cofactor (supplement) therapy in CVS, but strongly advises consulting with your own physician before beginning to take any of these supplements:
Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
- Promotes energy metabolism and an antioxidant.
- Common dose in adults and children over age 10 years: 300 mg twice daily (600 mg a day).
- Common dose in children under age 10 years: 10 mg/kg body weight twice daily.
- Side effects: Rare, occasional insomnia from being over-energized can be dealt with by moving forwards in time the last dose of the day.
- Caveats: Most brands have poor bioavailability. In Dr. Boles’ opinion, Trader Joes gel capsules are the best (Dr. Boles receives no money or goods from Trader Joes).
- Blood testing: Level should be higher than 4.0 mg/L (4,000 mcg/L), which is much higher than the normal level. Blood should be drawn after 4+ hours from last meal or dose, and at least a week after any change in dosing.
- Promotes the metabolism of fats and detoxification of metabolic intermediates from affected mitochondria.
- Common dose in adults and children over age 10 years: 500-1,000 mg twice daily (1,000-2,000 mg a day).
- Common dose in children under age 10 years: 50-100 mg/kg body weight twice daily.
- Side effects: Uncommon, occasional nausea or diarrhea (It is great for constipation); fishy odor. Side effects can be addressed by reducing the dose given.
- Caveats: Can be bought over-the-counter or by prescription. Choose the least-expensive option.
- Blood testing: Free level should be higher than 30-40 mcmol/L, which is the higher side of the normal level. Blood should be drawn after 4+ hours from last meal or dose, and at least a week after any change in dosing.
- There are several B vitamins that promote energy metabolism in different manners, including B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacinamide), B5 (pantothenate), B6 (pyridoxine), B7 (biotin), B9 (folate), and B12 (cobalamin). A B100 tablet contains all of these B vitamins, plus others, at very high mitochondrial-targeting dosages.
- Common dose in adults and children over age 10 years: One B100 tablet a day.
- Common dose in children under age 10 years: One half of a B100 tablet a day.
- Side effects: Nausea is common, so starting with one-half the dose for the first week is recommended. Some people can only tolerate one-half the dose.
- Caveats: There are many brands to choose from.
- Blood testing: Probably not helpful.
- Promotes energy metabolism and an antioxidant.
- Common dose in adults and children over age 10 years: 500 mg twice daily (1,000 mg per day).
- Common dose in children under age 10 years: 250 mg twice daily (500 mg per day), less under age 5 years.
- Side effects: Very rare.
- Caveats: There are many brands to choose from. Vitamin C acts primarily as an antioxidant, whose main purpose is to prevent future deterioration. Thus, success may look like no changes.
- Blood testing: Probably not helpful. Posted with permission from http://molecularmitomd.com/?page_id=141
EPIC Phone: 1-800-866-0978
EPIC 4 Health offers special pricing to CVS patients. To receive this Special Patient Pricing, you/parents/patients can call 1-800-866-0978 M-F between 9:30am till around 2pm Eastern or order 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at http://www.epic4health.com/. Just remember to put a note in the Comments Box on the order form similar to: “I am a CVS Patient and get special pricing.” EPIC 4 Health will then manually adjust the order BEFORE processing the credit card.
Healthy Origins CoQ10 is in the form of gel caps suspended in olive oil so they are 100% soy-free for those of us who are una-ble to have soy. It comes in 100mg, 200mg, 300mg, & 400mg gel caps, in all different sized bottles. Shipping is free on all orders of $100 or more, and CVS patients just have to tell the operator on the phone when they place the order that it is for the treatment of CVS and remind them of the 50% discount. They are based out of Pittsburgh, PA and their toll-free number is 1-888-228-6650. You can see the products on their website, but to get the discount you have to order via the phone.
Neuroneeds offer a variety of products that help CVS patients. See neuroneeds.com for a complete list.
Q-Needs® is superior from other CoQ10 options on the market today. Q-Needs® is a patent-pending, completely soluble, liquid, crystal-free solution of ubiquinol clinically proven to provide superior bioavailability. Superior bioavailability means better absorption of the nutrient from the gut into the blood, aimed to:
- Boost Cognitive Awareness
- Promote Antioxidant Health
- Support Cellular Energy Production
- Support heart and cardiovascular health
- Reduce frequency and duration of migraine pain
Neuroneeds is offering a 10% discount to CVS patients by using coupon code CVSA2020 when ordering online; this is applicable to their other products as well like SpectrumNeeds which also contains CoQ10.